Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mother of Two

Lots of people have asked me about being a Mother of two children under the age of 2.  While I was still pregnant I didn't have a lot to say only because I was anxious and worried about it.  Here is a little of what I thought about late at night...

I had a hard first couple months when Preston was born so how was I going to do with 2 kids?  Would I be able to love and care for both of them at the same time?  Did I have the knowledge to do this?  Did I have the energy to do this?  What were we thinking?  Are they going to hate each other? Am I going to be able to handle staying at home with both of them all day everyday?  What were we thinking?  Will I be able to be the Mom that I want to be?  Shouldn't there be some sort of test to have children?  Would I pass that test if it existed?  What if this new baby cried all the time and I slept for only 30 mins/night, what am I going to do with Preston?  He deserves to not have a zombie Mom.  What were we thinking?  How is it that people have more than one child?  What do they know that I don't?  What were we thinking?

The anxiety really started to build until about June and that's when I decided that there was nothing that I could do, this was happening and so enjoy the summer with Preston.  Preston and I did just that, we had a really fun Summer.  We swam and played and enjoyed it just being to two of us at home during the day.  I love my little boy so much, and watching him learn and grow is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in my life. 

Fast foward to November when the doctor told me she would induce me on November 6th. All of those fears and questions came flooding back.  Finally, I thought "This is happening and I have to deal with whatever cards are dealt.  So stop worrying and start experiencing.  I told myself that I need to enjoy every minute because this will only be a small portion of my life, but it can enrich the rest of the days that I have here on this earth. 

Now that Embree is 4 weeks old I feel as though I can safely say that we are managing well.  She has fit into daily life so well, she is so mellow, and Preston LOVES having a little sister!  I didn't know that I had such a capcity to love these two amazing little people as much as I do.  It feels as though she is meant to be here and be a part of our family all along.  I don't feel like a zombie even though the longest stretch of sleep I've had since she was born is 4 hours, and we still have a lot of fun around here.  I have been given strength and endurance that I didn't know that I was capable of, and I'm so very greatful for that!  Has it been easy NO WAY, but it doesn't feel as though it should be any other way.


Here is my adorable little family.  Preston showing us where Embree's nose is.
He loves his little "Sassy" (that's Prestons word for Sister)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. You express perfectly what every Mother has gone through at some point. I am happy to hear that you are managing well... (I was just thinking, "Did I handle my multiple children that well?") And Embree is gorgeous. You have an awesome family. (By the way-- its the third one that will REALLY kick your butt!)

    ReplyDelete