Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Project Glean

So there I was, minding my own business when my kind hearted hubby informed me that we were going to participate in our first service project as a family.  He had signed us up to go out and glean.  "Clean?" "No glean!" "You mean clean, right?"  "No, I mean GLEAN"!  So, off to the dictionary I went.  Farmers in the old testament were commanded to harvest the center of their fields and leave the areas around the field un-harvested for the poor and widowed.  We were going to a farmers field in eastern Colorado and glean the field and that food would then be delivered to a food bank.  After understanding it a bit, I thought that would be fun, but then I had a thought of our tank of a son, and carrying him in the baby bjorn through the fields of some farmers field in the middle of eastern, no where, Colorado, and I had a wave a panic.  I was assured by Brock that we'd be fine and he would carry Preston.  Luckily, we had someone donate a baby backpack for us to use, just in time for the project.  We went out to the farm, which happened to be right off the highway, and embarked on our service adventure.  It only took about 45 minutes and all the cucumbers and squash had been gleaned and off to the food bank.  Our first family service project went off without a hitch.   As I pulled out the camera to document our adventure, Brock said "You're going to blog about this aren't you".  I couldn't let him down, now could I?

No comments:

Post a Comment